13 Dec Snake Bites & Other Emergencies: What To Expect When Your Pet Is Admitted
Summer is here, which in Mpumalanga means that pet owners need to be extra vigilant when it comes to safeguarding their pets against venomous snakes. If the worst happens, and your pet is bitten by a snake, the best course of action is to seek immediate medical attention.
THE COST OF SNAKEBITE TREATMENTS
Treating a snakebite can be dangerous and expensive, which is why West Acres Animal Hospital provides a transparent payment procedure. If your pet is admitted under these conditions, please note:
- Treating a pet for a snakebite can cost anywhere between R8000 and R25 000.
- Due to these high costs, we need confirmation of payment ability.
- Payment options are offered through 3rd party financial companies, but owners might consider getting a suitable medical aid to cover proper treatment for their pets in these instances.
PLEASE NOTE that while treatment is legally subject to approval of third-party financing, we will always expedite treatment to save the animal.
OVERNIGHT STAYS & WHY IT IS IMPORTANT
Venomous snakebite treatments are normally followed by an overnight stay at our facilities. This is done for a number of reasons, including
- Resting overnight in a relatively enclosed area is a very important part of the healing process for any patient.
- When an animal is admitted, it allows us to check on the animal and make treatment decisions immediately. These extra visits and check-ups are covered in the cost an overnight stay.
- Any hospitalised animal gets a check-up before we leave the practice and also first thing in the morning.
- Should an owner take their pet home and monitor them themselves, unnecessary extra costs will be incurred if the animal takes a turn for the worse and the vet is called out to check, in which case the animal will also have to be admitted for treatment once again.
- In the event of critical cases that require intensive monitoring, we schedule a roster of registered nurses and veterinarians. This is subject to a surcharge.
- 24-hour cases can be monitored if deemed medically necessary. After-hour surcharges do apply.
- At any given time, we have two vets and a registered nurse on call to assist with hospitalised cases and any emergencies that arise.
If you have any questions about our rates or overnight stay policies, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We are always happy to explain and discuss your concerns.
Yours in nurturing animal care,
The West Acres Animal Hospital Team